USA Today has a list of the 40 best sports quotes of all time, whether they’re funny, inspirational, or just about winning and losing. Here are the Top Three in each category:
1. Mario Andretti: “If you have everything under control, you’re not moving fast enough.”
2. Mickey Mantle: “During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times, and walked maybe 1,800 times . . .
“You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at-bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball.”
3. Martina Navratilova: “I’ve been in the twilight of my career longer than most people have had their career.”
1. Former NFL star Terrell Owens: “I love me some me.”
2. Former tennis player Vitas Gerulaitis: “Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row.” He said this after defeating Jimmy Connors, who’d beaten him 16 straight times.
3. Muhammad Ali: “I should be a postage stamp. That’s the only way I’ll ever get licked.”
About Winning and Losing:
1. Former NFL coach Vince Lombardi: “Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.”
2. Former NCAA basketball coach Bobby Knight: “The key is not the will to win . . . everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.”
3. Former NFL coach and owner Paul Brown: “When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
There’s also this classic from Michael Jordan: Quote, “I’ve never lost a game. I just ran out of time.”
Hit up USAToday.com to see the whole list.