I have no doubt that the officers are trying to stop the thefts before the start, but it doesn’t hurt that they are also making sure residents take some protective action as well!
You may have heard in the news about the uptick in carjackings. You may have also heard that the thieves are targeting Kias and Hyundais, specifically. Well, the Woodridge Police Department is being proactive here, trying to get steering wheel locks into the hands of Woodridge residents who drive the targeted vehicles!
They aren’t doing anything fancy, either! They are throwing it back to the 90s with THE CLUB!
Here’s what they put on their social media today:
In response to the high amount of KIA and Hyundai vehicles being targeted for theft, we have reached out to both manufacturers to obtain steering wheel locks to distribute to our affected residents.
We have a limited quantity to distribute, and they will only be given out by appointment only, and on a first come, first served basis. To be eligible:
1. Village of Woodridge resident (proof required).
2. Be the registered owner of an affected vehicle:
– 2016-2021 Hyundai (all models) with a keyed ignition.
– 2011-2021 KIA (all models) with a keyed ignition.
3. You must bring the vehicle and current registration during pick-up for verification.
4. Vehicles with push button ignitions are not affected and not part of the program.
Contact the Community Outreach Unit at 630-719-4727 to make an appointment. Leave a detailed message including your name, address, and year/make/model of your vehicle.
Once we run out of steering wheel locks, the program will be discontinued.
Walk-in requests will NOT be honored.