Hey, it’s Rich Dale. Today (Saturday) is National Cereal Day! If you’re like me, cereal has been a part of your life since before you can remember. I admit I’m not like Gene Simmons who puts ice in his cold cereal to make it really cold — plain old out-of-the-fridge milk is cold enough for me.
But I was always a cold cereal kid. It was perfect on Saturday mornings when I’d get up around 6:00 to do my 6 hours of cartoon watching. Nothing goes with H.R. Pufnstuf like a nice bowl or two of Frosted Flakes. And I don’t even care if they stay crunchy! I’d never turn down a bowl of cereal just for being soggy.
Here are some of my favorite cold cereals in no particular order and with no regard for brand:
- Sugar Frosted Flakes – can’t beat Corn Flakes with frosting, or pretty much anything with frosting
- Cap’n Crunch – excellent sweet corn taste
- Quisp (basically Cap’n Crunch in the shape of little flying saucers)
- King Vitaman (Cap’n Crunch in the shape of “treasure nuggets”)
- Honey Nut Cheerios (Or even regular Cheerios. Cheerios is one of those cereals where it seems like the brand name one has some secret ingredient that makes it taste better than generic O’s.)
- Frosty-O’s – basically frosted Cheerios, and they were endorsed by Tennessee Tuxedo!
And now that I’m older, bran cereals have joined the list! Raisin Bran, Cracklin’ Oat Bran, etc.
What are some of your faves?