OK, let me get one thing out of the way first, by way of a confession of ignorance. Col Needham is the CEO of imdb, and of course Col is short for Colin. When I first saw his name, I thought it was short for Colonel Needham, like Colonel Sanders. So we’re done with that.
So here are Col’s (not the Colonel’s) top picks for movies of 2019:
10. Rocketman – The “musical fantasy” biopic of Elton John
9. Doctor Sleep – a far down the road sequel to The Shining
8. 1917 – a World War I drama inspired by a story told to the director by his grandfather
7. Blinded By the Light – an Asian Springsteen fan lives his life by the words of the Boss
6. Yesterday – an alternate timeline movie where the main character is the only one who remembers The Beatles, so people think it’s his brilliance when he relates the songs
5. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
4. Knives Out – One of the 2 on this list that I’ve actually seen! An intriguing and funny whodunnit, and I don’t usually like whodunnits. Daniel Craig’s Louisiana accent is amazing!
3. Avengers: Endgame – Possibly the final Avengers chapter? Who knows.
2. The Aeronauts
1. Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood – The other one I’ve seen. Classic Tarantino and excellent chemistry between DiCaprio and Pitt.