Check out these phrases a lot of people get wrong
February 22, 2020 3:00PM CST
I’ll admit it. I’m a linguistics nerd. I think interesting facts and observations about language are pretty cool.
So I was reading an article about all these common phrases, idioms I guess, that pop up, then get kind of distorted as time goes by. Here’s a few of them:
- You’ve got another thing coming – Even Judas Priest gets this one wrong! That’s the name of their song — I checked! The phrase is supposed to be “You’ve got another THINK coming”. If you THINK this, you better THINK again, get it? I always thought that’s what Judas Priest was saying, and it turns out they should have!
- And speaking of “should have”, do you know a lot of people who say and write should of? That’s sort of understandable because when you use the contraction “should’ve”, it does sound a lot like “should of”. (OK, now the word “should” looks weird to me because I keep typing it.)
- Butt naked – It’s really “buck naked” but I don’t know why. If you’re buck naked, your butt (among other things) is showing.
- Spitting image – it took me a while to figure this one out, but I think I get it. It should be “spit and image”. What the heck does THAT mean? I’ve got a feeling that in this phrase “spit” is a shortening of “spirit”. And then it makes sense. If you look exactly like someone, you’re the “spirit and image” of them.
- Chock it up – I’ve never heard anyone actually do this one. It’s really “chalk it up”, like “chalk it up to genius”. Write it on the board as a score for genius.
Check back here tomorrow around this time and I’ll have a few more for ya!