Anyone who remembers Eddie Haskell associates him with that or similar phrases. One week ago today, last Monday May 18th, Ken Osmond, the actor who portrayed Eddie for 6 seasons on Leave It to Beaver, passed away at age 76 from COPD complications.
A couple things that are NOT TRUE about Ken Osmond:
- He is NOT Alice Cooper. That urban legend from the 70’s started when Alice Cooper said he was a “real Eddie Haskell” as a kid.
- He is NOT adult film star (back when there were adult film stars) John Holmes. Another urban legend from the 70’s.
Things that ARE TRUE about Ken Osmond:
- His portrayal of Eddie Haskell turned what was supposed to be a one shot character into a regular on the show.
- After being typecast as Eddie Haskell, he found it difficult to find steady work as an actor, so he joined the Los Angeles Police Department.
- After retiring from the LAPD, he played Eddie again on the 1983 series The New Leave It to Beaver. If I remember right, he ran a construction company while Wally was a lawyer.
As a kid, I used to watch Beaver every day when I came home from school. Of course, I had no idea I was watching syndicated reruns. A few decades later, I tried to get my kids into watching it, but that wasn’t happening. I guess some things are timeless and some aren’t. But a sad farewell and RIP to Ken Osmond.